A Couple of Kooks

My favourite David Bowie album has always been Hunky Dory, and one of my favourite songs on it - Kooks.


Ever since I was a little girl I used to have these dreams about being a mum and having a daughter. She looked just like I did at the time - long blonde hair, big green eyes, freckles and a cheeky grin. And muddy knees. All the best little girls have muddy knees you know.


I never dreamt about the Daddy of my precocious daughter, these reoccurring dreams just involved me and her which I think is one of the reasons why I grew up to be so independent. I had every faith that one day I'd be a mum and have my daughter and the "getting her" part didn't come into it. I wasn't remotely bothered about getting married or having to share my child with a trouser-shaped adult. Selfish, non?


This could have been because when I was a little tom-girl, boys were for playing football with - not marrying. Why would a tom-girl need a boy when she was just as boyish and had far muddier knees?

Or it could have been because whilst David Bowie was one idol, Madonna was another and she managed to get everything she wanted without a man having any impact.Either way, last night for the first time in ages I had a dream about my little girl, but for the first time I wasn't alone in it.
The boy and I were sat on a picnic blanket in the garden of what I will assume was our house (don't you just love how in dreams you instinctively know things that aren't confirmed?) and both looking down at my large pregnant bump.


We were singing Kooks to the bump:
Will you stay in our lovers' story?
If you stay you won't be sorry 'cause we believe in you
Soon you'll grow so take a chance

With a couple of kooks hung up on romancing
We bought a lot of things to keep you warm and dry
And a funny old crib on which the paint won't dry

I bought you a pair of shoes a trumpet you can blow and a book of rules
On what to say to people when they pick on you
'Cause if you stay with us you're gonna be pretty kookie too
Will you stay in our lovers' story?
If you stay you won't be sorry 'cause we believe in you
Soon you'll grow so take a chance

With a couple of kooks hung up on romancing

And if you ever have to go to school

Remember how they messed up this old fool
Don't pick fights with the bullies or the cads

'Cause I'm not much cop at punching other people's dads
And if the homework brings you down
Then we'll throw it on the fire and take the car downtown
Will you stay in our lovers' story?
If you stay you won't be sorry 'cause we believe in you

Soon you'll grow so take a chance
With a couple of kooks hung up on romancing


Will you stay in our lovers' story?

If you stay you won't be sorry 'cause we believe in you
Soon you'll grow so take a chance

With a couple of kooks hung up on romancing

Will you stay?

Being an ex-psychology student I do hold some stock in the various theories of why dreams happen, how they happen and what they represent to us as individuals. I felt this morning like the unconscious part of my brain has now accepted what the part of my brain that I control already knew. That my life is falling into place on a path that it was always supposed to go down.

And I'm happy. This is who I'm meant to be with. This is what I'm meant to be doing and all the details in the way - money, two houses with "potential" rather than one home ready for a family are just that. Details. Don't sweat them.
Love has been described as finding the last part of a jigsaw puzzle.
I always went with Alanis Morisette's proclamation that "I don't wanna be you other half, I believe that one and one make two" but when it does happen all of those clich├ęs ring true.


We are a couple of kooks.
I'm majorly Hulking right now. Having the kind of horrible hormonal day that I'm firstly not supposed to have (DAMN YOU IMPLANON! Why have you reneged on our agreement?) and secondly makes me want to eat chocolate, hide under a duvet with a hot water bottle and cry.

The world doesn't stop though when you have a job that you love to go to. Maybe it should, I would throw less staplers at people if it did.

Ziggy played guitarrrrrraaaaarrrrraaaarrrrrr.



Title: Kooks by David Bowie

3 comments:

Blue Lights Photography said...

Awww, I remember having a dream, just before I met James, of a house, with a brown door, with a drive way and grass. We had a BLONDE (i was blonde as a kid) little boy running around, and a baby bump to boot! :)

snodlander said...

And then you get the infant, mewling and puking in the nurse's arms, and you realise you can't wake from this one. Bless their little socks.

So, does this mean we're never going to be? Have I wasted my best chat-ip lines on you?

Etoile Filante said...

Never say never Bob - especially not around a hormonal woman!